Monday, April 12, 2010

Preparing for an exam


     Preparing to do an important thing is never easy, especially a final exam. It is almost impossible for me to prepare myself for anything without a particular plan. According to my experience in the middle and high school, the best way to get ready for an exam is to talk to teachers or review and study with friends in a suitable place. First when I know the date and subject of the exam, I will ask my teacher about unclear points to have everything in detail. What topics will be introduced? Will the exam be written, or half written and half multiple choice? How many questions will it contain? After I have a clear understanding, I will move to the second stage of my plan: gather all materials I may need for reviewing. Usually, I highlight important sections and chapters which we have during daily class at school. Also, I take notes on essential information and put them aside for tests and exams. While studying for an exam I attempt to organize my notes, chapters and sections which I have highlighted, and read them very carefully. Then I will test myself on them. As a final step, I will try to find a classmate who I know is as serious as I am about getting good grades.  We will then schedule a suitable time and place that we both find appropriate and comfortable for studying, such as in a library, in a park, or one of our houses. After that, we share all our notes and information we have gathered and discuss any points that we might not be very clear on.  We also create questions about topics that will be covered on an exam, and try to answer them concisely. We repeat these methods many times until we get the answers right and have gained a confidence in what we are studying. In brief, I assure the students who want to be successful to follow my plan (which contains simple steps of asking teachers, reviewing and studying with friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have made a good point for an exam strategies.

Michael said...

Good blog, Moe. Nicely done.